Labels

Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Lone Ranger


Rating: 3 stars - ok not great but entertaining

I grew up watching the cartoon version of the same title. Knowing it was Johnny Depp, I was interested since he usually acts in films that I like. I appreciated that he was not over the top here. He was quirky but not impossible.

Though this was a Disney film, somehow it did not feel like the usual type they deliver. The action sequences did not have me jumping but there was a lot of laughter thanks to Tonto. Perhaps it is part of growing older but I left the cinema full of sorrow for the American Indians who had their lands and lives stolen from them. A treaty they were told they broke that they didn't, the wasted lives to serve other people's greed. Once you realize the truth, a choice must be made (as a number of characters in the movie had to do). Defining moments that sometimes we don't realize is what it is such as for Capt. Jay Fuller but the next step is/was a conscious choice.

Though the title of the film is the Lone Ranger, this film did not feel like any version of the Lone Ranger I've seen before. It did not feel like an adventure. The tragedy and the injustice just couldn't be shaken off and the  concept the Lone Ranger rides again did not feel as strong. The determination and resolution that characterizes him for me just wasn't there.

Character I love: Red! That leg is awesome!
Most memorable character: Silver! That is one strange horse. very smart though - no use arguing with a spirit horse.

Would I watch it again...maybe but definitely not on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment